Farmers work with local resource professionals to develop comprehensive farm plans using a five-tiered process. AEM is designed to work with farmers to further protect important natural resources. By participating in AEM, farmers can document their environmental stewardship and further advance their positive contributions to their communities, our food systems, the economy, and the environment. For more information visit the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets website.
- Maple syrup producers
- Green houses
- Fruit, vegetable or tree farms
- Horse, dairy or other pastureland
- Riding stables
- Hay fields
- Tier 1: District staff will meet with farmers to fill out a short questionnaire to establish basic information on the farming operation and identify potential natural resource concerns, opportunities and farmer interest.
- Tier 2: Worksheets help farmers understand and document current environmental practices while assessing potential environmental concerns.
- Tier 3: Local teams of resource professionals help farmers develop environmental farm plans to address concerns identified in Tier 1 and 2.
- Tier 4: AEM partners provide technical, educational, and / or financial assistance to help farmers implement priority practices from their Tier 3 environmental farm plans.
- Tier 5: Opportunity to evaluate and update plans and / or implemented practices to ensure continued environmental conservation and farm viability.
For more information contact Jaime Parslow, District Technician.